Cholesterol is a waxy looking, fat-like substance that can be found in all the cells in the human body. Cholesterol moves through your bloodstream in small bundles called lipoproteins. The bundles are made of proteins on the outside and lipids (fat) on the inside.
There are two types of lipoproteins responsible for carrying cholesterol throughout your body. These are LDL (low-density lipoproteins) and HDL (high-density lipoproteins). It’s important for your health that you have both types of lipoproteins.
LDL cholesterol is considered “bad” cholesterol because when you have high LDL levels, it makes cholesterol buildup in your arteries. HDL cholesterol is considered “good” cholesterol because it carries cholesterol from other parts of your body back to the liver. After that, the liver removes the cholesterol from your body.
The word “cholesterol” comes from the Ancient Greek words “chole-” and “stereos”, with the suffix “-ol” for an alcohol. It is an organic molecule.
- 30% of the cholesterol in your body comes from your diet.
- Your liver produces the rest.
- High cholesterol can lead to serious heart problems such as heart attack.
Causes for High Cholesterol
– Eating fat-rich foods such as:
- Fatty meats (pastrami, ribs, steak, hot dogs, bacon, corned beef, sausage)
- Egg yolks
- Snack crackers, cake, croissants, muffins, basically all pastries
- Butter or margarine
- Fast food, saturated fats and oils
– Hereditary factors
Home Remedies for High Cholesterol
These remedies are based on the Ayurvedic medicine, which is an ancient Indian science of healing. They are all natural, non-invasive, and can be prepared at home.
Natural home remedy that you can make with coriander seeds:
- Take one tall glass of water
- Add 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds
- Boil it for around 15 minutes
- Strain the resulting mixture
- Allow for it to cool
- Drink it 3 times a day
Natural home remedy with watermelon seeds:
- Roast the watermelon seeds
- Crush them into a fine powder
- Take 1 tablespoon of watermelon seed powder
- Add the tablespoon to a glass of water
- Mix really well
- Drink once every day
Natural home remedy with margosa leaves and basil
- Take about 15 margosa leaves
- Take 10-15 basil leaves
- Mix them together and crush until you get a paste
- Add the paste to one glass of water
- Drink everyday on an empty stomach
Tips to regulate LDL levels
- Control your diet
- Drink 1L of water on a daily basis
- Consider taking a natural supplement that can lower LDL (e.g. Garcinia Cambogia)